How is mitochondrial DNA used in forensics?March 12, 2022
Can DNA Testing Diagnose Congenital Hypothyroidism in NewbornMarch 28, 2022
The words genetics testing and population health have been going around for quite some time now. To understand it more clearly, population health is the application of healthcare programs, researchers, and community work to develop better knowledge and awareness of the health hazards people are facing at present and how it can affect the population in long term.
o How do genes play a role in it?
- Several healthcare organizations have begun to offer genetic tests to their patients, to identify determine if the patient has an elevated risk of having cancer, cardiovascular disease, cardiac arrest, and other serious disorders.
- Regular genetic screening and integrating the data with the other health records can assist health systems in determining which of its patient are at high risk for certain diseases or are a carrier for hereditary diseases.
o Genetics Testing and population health importance –
- Individuals and their providers can cooperate on strategies to assist the individual to lower the risk of disease with genetic and medical information. This can be accomplished through modifying one’s lifestyle or by keeping an eye out for symptoms that, when recognized early, can be handled effectively.
- If a genetic condition is diagnosed in one person, their entire family can be examined to discover whether they are at risk too or not. A single data point can reveal information useful to many family members.
- Since population health affects everyone improving the health of a specific group can help in the reduction of risk in that group and increase the overall health of the population.